Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"Prufrock Remixed" Critique

I chose to critique "Prufrock Remixed" by Justin Higgins. I'll just start off by saying that overall I really liked this project. I think it is very creative way of storytelling. The idea of taking something like a short story or a poem and stretching out over a variety of different sites and using a variety of different media to convey said poem is quite ingenious.



The obvious criticism here is that this method of storytelling does nothing but complicate the original poem but that is the whole point of this remix. The idea is to use an original method of storytelling regardless of how complicated it may be. Personally, my feeling is that it could be more complicated. I think it would be more fun for the reader to have to figure out where to go next as opposed to simply being told. That said, I understand that an insane amount of work has already gone into making this and no more is really necessary. That said, while I'm suggesting other possibilities, the author could also give the readers a choice of places to go and different stories could be linked together in order to change the meaning.



The suggestions above are just that, suggestions. It is a very original way to tell a story without really making anything too complicated. I would interested to see someone do this with an original story so they could do more to play with the content of the story as well as the way it is read. It is the potential of what can be done with this form of storytelling that makes this such an interesting remix.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for critiquing my remix project!

    I agree with you - I think it could have made it especially interesting to make the reader have to figure out where to go next, or at least make the links from one project to the next less clear. My main concern with that was that if it is too difficult, the reader gets lost and then doesn't have a way to advance. But by making it more of a puzzle it might also engage the reader (and if I was able to make part of the text the clue, it would also require the reader to think more about the text).

    I think this might be easier when working with an original text than remixing an existing one, because then one could more easily make parts of the text a clue, etc.

    Anyway, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete