Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Remix Explained

As I have stated before in this blog, I am a journalism student. I have been trained to write in the most simple way possible. So my goal with this project was to take the least simplistic writing I could think of, Shakespeare, and adapt the flowery language into something that is a little more in keeping with what I normally write.

The way I accomplished this was to take four excerpts from Shakespeare's Hamlet and put them on a flowery background (get it, to represent the flowery language). Then I used the rollover image function in dreamweaver (anyone who has seen my homepage knows that this is my FAVORITE tool) so that when you mouse over the excerpts they rollover and reveal my simplified translations on a plain white background.

The point of my project, beyond the obvious simplification, was to display the aesthetic value of white space which is something that many of my journalism professors have preached. I tried to have fun with the way i arranged the words without really doing anything special to the meaning. Overall, I am satisfied with the way the core of the project turned out. I'm not thrilled with the title or the sub-heading above the excerpts. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them because honestly, I think what I have up there right now is pretty lame. If you haven't seen the project yet then you can look at it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment